TopTropicals logo
Call us: 1-866-897-7957      Follow us: Follow us at Facebook Follow us at Twitter     Newsletter      Wishlist      Gift certificate
View shopping cart
TopTropicals.com— rare tropical plants for home and garden

TopTropicals logoCall us: 866-897-7957

TopTropicals.com— rare tropical plants for home and garden

Follow us:  Follow us at Facebook
TROPICAL PLANT CATALOG Printer friendly page

This catalog is for information only. If you don't see the price - the plant is not for sale.

Click on image to enlarge.
Pictogram Guide you may also see symbol definition in a pop-up window by mouse-pointing on pictogram

Nyctanthes arbor-tristis, Arbor Tristis, Sad tree, Night Jasmine, Parijat

Click to see full-size image  Nyctanthes arbor-tristis
Family: Verbenaceae
Arbor Tristis, Sad tree, Night Jasmine, Parijat
Origin: South Asia, India
large shrub 5-10 ftsmall tree 10-20 ftfull sunsemi-shademoderate waterwhite/off-white flowersred/crimson/vinous flowersfragrantethnomedicalattracts butterflies, hummingbirdsincuded in CD catalog

This exotic small tree or shrub has highly perfumed flowers. The sweet scented flowers are small, 1-2", attractive shape, with white corolla and an orange-red tube in center and bloom profusely, opening at night and casting off in the morning thus making a carpet of flowers. Used in Buddhist temples, for worship. The large attractive leaves are rough and hairy. Needs warmth during winter months. Use well drained soil and fertilize once a month. Stem is used for relief of headache, leaf - cholecystagogue, flower - antipyretic, treatment of faintness and vertigo.

According to mythology, this is a heavenly tree brought to earth by the god Krishna. A quarrel over it ensued between Satyabhama and Rukmini, Krishna's wives. But Krishna planted the tree in Satyabhama's courtyard in a way that when the tree flowered, the flowers fell in Rukmini's courtyard. Another romantic story woven around the tree is about Parijataka, a princess. She fell in love with the sun but when he deserted her she committed suicide and a tree sprung from the ashes. Unable to stand the sight of the lover who left her, the tree flowers only at night and sheds them like tear-drops before the sun rises.

Seed

NameComments
Name:John Gosden
Email:j-d@gmail.com
Location:Thailand
21 Oct 2005, 10:50 PM
Fairly easy to grow, fiendishly difficult to photograph: the flowers open at night and fall by morning. In north-east Thailand, the fallen flowers are collected and used to make a perfume, Ubon Sunshine.
Name:Jaya
Email:j-i@gmail.com
Location:Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Zone:Tro
21 Mar 2007, 6:21 AM
Thanks for the wonderful information your site has on a flower which is native to my country. You guys are doing a great job! Count me in as a regular visitor!
Name:Hermes
Email:h-s@gmail.com
Location:
17 Apr 2007, 7:29 AM
What John Gosden says is very correct. The flowers fall down no sooner than the first light of sun touching the plant. The flower is called siuli and hara-goura. Here is a beautiful poem:

Puffs of clouds swim in the sky in autumn,
The siuli wilts with the coming of the sun.

Name:Bhupesh Patel
Email:b-5@hotmail.com
Location:Norcross,GA
24 Sep 2007, 2:38 PM
Please Send me more information about how to take care this plant in the winter time

Bhupesh
Name:Ila Pandya
Email:d-a@bellsouth.net
Location:Miami, Florida, U.S.A.
Zone:TRO
30 Sep 2007, 4:31 PM
I grew up with this tree in East Africa, collecting flowers for my mother for "puja"!
Thank you for all the wonderful information. I will pass on this website to the rest of the family - scattered all over the world!
I will be visiting you soon.
Thank you for bringing back childhood memories!
Name:Rama
Email:r-1@gmail.com
Location:Mason, Ohio
30 May 2008, 10:00 AM
Hi
Can I grow this plant here in southwest ohio?
or can I grow it in a pot so that I can bring it in during winter.
Name:Suju
Email:S-u@yahoo.com
Location:Ashburn, VA, USA
15 Aug 2008, 11:30 AM
Hi,
I love this plant. Originally I am from India, and we have this plant back home. As soon as I saw this plant on this website, I just want to buy. Only concern is how to manage this in winter time. Any suggestions on this.

Suju
Name:singal
Location:FL,USA
Zone:10
25 Oct 2008, 8:52 AM
I grow this tree in South Florida. The flowers have a wonderful honey scent hard to describe. Generally flowers during cooler days of the year and thrives in South Florida. The flowers can be picked right off the branches when I get to the plantaround 6 am . When I collect the flowers in my hand,they feel very soft and my hand smells really good for long time.When you grow from seed,it may flower the same year or next year.Seed should be sown in spring.Tree grows straight up and often times may have branches coming from base which are even better because you get more flowers.Small butterflies hover around it all day.
Name:Ratna
Email:r-3@gmail.com
Location:NJ, USA
Zone:5
13 Nov 2008, 10:55 AM
I have been growing plant in a pot for 5 yrs but have not been able to get any flowers.
Name:Padma
Email:l-r@gmail.com
Location:Melbourne, Vic, Australia
11 Mar 2009, 9:46 PM
Very true, I agree with the rest of you. This site has indeed taken me to my child hood where I used to pick the flowers for the pooja. Am interested to know if this plant is available in Melbourne and does it grow anywhere in Australia? Love this plant and its fragrance.
Name:Venkat
Email:v-5@hotmail.com
Location:Sydney, Australia
Zone:all
25 Apr 2009, 8:38 PM
anyone help me, as I am having a few seeds.One of your visitors by name Ratna (USA)wrote that she grew this plant-Parijatham(Coral Jasmine)in a pot for five years. How did she do it, is what I want to know. Even though it did not flower in a pot after five years, for some reason, I am intrested in germinating it in a pot, then transfer to a chosen spot on land so it could bloom. Could you help me as I don't know what to with those few seeds I have?

Name:Vaibhav
Email:v-4@yahoo.com
Location:Oklahoma
10 Jul 2009, 6:38 PM
Hello,

I have many seeds of Parijat brought from some Indian website. I am very sure about seeds authenticity as I grew up with two of those trees in front of our house. Tried to get it to grow in pot but no success so far. Any tricks that I should know of. I believe if you get snow in winter you must try to plant this in pot and take inside when temperatures go below 35 F ish.

Thanks,
Name:Rav
Email:s-i@yahoo.com
Location:New York, USA
Zone:sno
12 Sep 2009, 6:10 PM
Hello
Could please help me to grow this plant.I always love this plant it reminds me of my childhood, youth etc,etc, We had this plant in our yard and i always loved it in india.
Now I have a small plant in a pot and I bring it inside in winter. I only see one stem no flowers leaves grow but become brown on tips and edges. The tip is becoming brown and dry. I want to save this plant and hope to see flowers. let me know the growing and watering ideas.
Help ASSP
Rav
Name:Jayanta
Email:j-a@hotmail.com
Location:
28 Jun 2010, 1:28 PM
This Plant has also medicinal Properties. The leaf works as a fabrifuze and is said to effective in Malaria. It is also used to accelerate the healing of bone fracture.
Name:Paramita Bhatt
Email:p-t@gmail.com
Location:SPRINGFIELD-VA-USA
Zone:COL
13 Sep 2010, 1:00 PM
I AM BUYING THIS PLANT, ANY SUGGESTIONS TO MAINTAIN THIS PLANT. I LOVED THE WEBSITE VERY MUCH. THIS IS THE PLANT I WAS LOOKING FOR SINCE SO MANY YEARS.

TIPS ON MAINTAINING AND GROWING THIS PLANT INSIDE HOME ARE WELCOMED.
THANKS
Name:Chanchal Maitra
Email:c-a@in.com
Location:Gangarampur, S. Dinajpur, West Bengal, India
4 Nov 2010, 1:42 PM
Nice to see too much interest in Sheuli or Shephalika or Parijat. Very easy to grow but very cold sensitive. There are minimum four shapes of this flower. Highly fragrant. A good pruning after flowering increases bloom in the next season. Water stagnant kills it. Few are interested to grow its cutting in pots but it dose well in ground. In West Bengal almost every where- even in the Himalayan forests, it can be found to grow like a small tree. Its fragrance in moonlit autumn night is just outstanding. But dont know why the Raj Yogis forbid this tree to plant in home.
Name:Nikhila
Email:n-a@hotmail.com
Location:Canada
11 Oct 2011, 7:47 PM
I'm just wondering will i able to grow Nyctanthes Arbor Tristis (Parijat)
in a pot as canada weather conditions are severe during winter.
Name:Pranna
Email:P-a@hotmail.com
Location:Bloomington,il,usa
Zone:5
9 Apr 2012, 11:19 AM
Is anyone know how to get seeds for this plant. Because I love this flowers a lot means a lot.
Name:jean pierre
Email:z-k@hotmail.com
Location:mauritius island
Homepage:na
Zone:hot
11 Dec 2012, 2:37 PM
HI ALL ,
I FOUND GOOD WAY OF GERMINATING PARIJATA YOU SIMPLY PUT THE SEED IN POT WITH SOIL AN COVER IT WITH AN OLD WATER PLASTIC BOTTLE OVER IT AFTER YOU HAVE REMOVED THE BOTTOM OFF AND KEEP THE LID ON ,NO WIND, NO BIRDS AND YOUR SEED IS IN THE MINI RAIN FOREST .KEEP THE BOTTLE ON UNTIL ITS FULL OF LEAVES AND REMOVE THE BOTTLE, MAGIC ,
Name:naman mukesh chaudhary
Email:n-4@gmail.com
Location:ghaziabad
Homepage:India
Zone:war
26 Jun 2013, 4:02 PM
I want to buy the Parijat plant, please tell me from where di you all got it?
Name:Krishna
Email:k-p@hotmail.com
Location:minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Zone:4
22 Oct 2013, 3:16 PM
I received this plant with three very small leaves, extremely thin stem, I am really worried if this will survive, any advice will be welcome.
Name:Vivek
Email:v-i@gmail.com
Location:
28 Dec 2013, 3:27 AM
Hi, can someone please tell me if the parijat plant is acidic or alkaline, thanks, Vivek, Jakarta, Indonesia

Name:Pathak
Location:Virginia,USA
Zone:7
18 Mar 2014, 9:47 PM
Hello, to all those who want to grow Parijat: i have successfully killed several plants before seeing success in this one i have this time. I have kept it indoors facing the north eastern window, it gets early morning to early afternoon sunlight and then only light, it needs a humidifier next to it, i keep it on for few hours a day and then close the room, it is in a 15 x 15 room and i can completely close it off to keep the moisture for a few more hours, so i guess keeping it in a green house will do the trick but it needs light and moisture. It cannot stand dry indoor air which all indoor plants must endure, so lots of TLC apart, i am seeing new growth and little browning which hope the coming spring weather will take care of . Good luck.
Name:Rani
Email:f-i@gmail.com
Location:atlanta, GA
3 Jul 2014, 4:23 PM
Does anyone have the parijat plat growing near Atlanta Georgia? Thanks!
Name:Rani
Email:f-i@gmail.com
Location:atlanta, GA
3 Jul 2014, 4:23 PM
Does anyone have the parijat plat growing near Atlanta Georgia? Thanks!

Link to this plant: http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/nyctanthes_arbortristis.htm
 Create QR-code to share this link  Share this page on Facebook  Share this page on Twitter

Sad tree, Night Jasmine, Parijat. This exotic small tree or shrub has highly perfumed flowers. The sweet scented flowers are small, 1-2", attractive shape, with white corolla and an orange-red tube in center and bloom profusely, opening at night and casting off in the morning thus making a carpet of flowers. Used in Buddhist temples, for worship.
This plant doesn't take shipping well. Shipped on customers risk, no replacements or refunds.
This item is certified for shipping to California.
Grown in 1 gal pot